CC-Link IE TSNNEW!
CC-Link IE TSN is the first to combine gigabit Ethernet bandwidth with Time Sensitive Networking (TSN). It has increased openness while further strengthening performance and functionality.
Introduction to CC-Link IE TSN
CC-Link IE TSN adds TSN to increase openness while further strengthening performance and functionality.
- In order to create smart factories, essential issues include gathering real-time information from production processes, processing it via edge computing, and then transmitting it seamlessly to IT systems.
- To realize smart factories, productivity improvement through higher equipment performance and functionality is essential, along with advanced motion control. This is especially true in advanced industries such as semiconductor and battery manufacturing.
- CC-Link IE TSN builds on the benefits of CC-Link IE by improving communication functions and synchronization accuracy. Demand for TSN support will therefore increase, as this technology makes it possible to mix different networks on the same trunk line and provide real-time communication through time synchronization. Thus the motion control capabilities have been significantly enhanced.
- CC-Link IE TSN enables seamless, smooth connection from upper level IT systems to OT systems at production sites, allowing the expanded use of a wide variety of applications in manufacturing.
Technical overview and utilization of open technology
(1) TSN technology and protocol layers
- CC-Link IE TSN's protocol uses layers 3 ~ 7 of the OSI reference model, building on the TSN technology located in layer 2.
TSN (Time-Sensitive Networking)
TSN consists of multiple international standards. The major standards are IEEE802.1AS (which defines the time synchronization method) and IEEE802.1Qbv (which defines the time sharing method). Combining these with the Ethernet standard enables punctuality, ensuring transmission within a given period of time, and mixed implementation with other communication protocols.
(2) Communication methods
- Conventional CC-Link IE uses a token passing method. A station transfers transmission rights to the next station after transmitting its own data by transfer of the token.
- CC-Link IE TSN uses common time synchronized across the network. The input and output communication frames are simultaneously transmitted in both directions in a fixed time. Combining this method with TSN shortens the network cyclic data update time.
(3) Increased profile support & diagnostics
- By using CSP+, CC-Link IE TSN has added support for CANopen device profiles. For example, communication configuration using international standard IEC61800-7 (CiA402) can be done on motion control equipment.
(4) Support for general-purpose network diagnostic functions
- Widely used IT network monitoring tools such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), are supported by CC-Link IE TSN for network equipment fault diagnostics. The structure and statistical information of CC-Link IE TSN are defined as Extend MIB (Management Information Base) and network diagnosis is available using general SNMP supporting tools.
(1) Integration of control communication and information communication
- By giving a high priority to cyclic communication for device control and by allocating bandwidth preferentially over information communication, CC-Link IE TSN offers a network environment that communicates information with IT systems while controlling system devices with real-time cyclic communication.
- Devices using UDP or TCP communication (such as machine vision systems) can be connected to the network for high accuracy monitoring, diagnostics and analysis.
(2) Rapid system setup and advanced predictive maintenance
- CC-Link IE TSN also supports SNMP. With a general-purpose SNMP monitoring tool, both CC-Link IE TSN devices and IP communication devices such as switches and routers can be analysed together.
- The time synchronization protocol regulated by TSN is used to calibrate time differences between devices compatible with CC-Link IE TSN, keeping them synchronized with high accuracy. Time information stored in both master and slave devices is kept synchronized to the microsecond. If a network error occurs, this makes it possible to check operation logs and accurately trace events up to the error in chronological order.
- It is also possible to provide production site information and accurate time information to IT systems. This will allow AI enabled data analysis to provide further process improvement via predictive maintenance.
(3) Maximize the performance of motion control and reduce cycle time
- CC-Link IE TSN uses the time sharing method with time trigger and bidirectional simultaneous communication to achieve a cycle time of 31.25 μs or less. This not only minimizes the total cyclic time even when production line expansion requires adding sensors or servo axes, but also provides a cycle time performance advantage compared to conventional CC-Link IE networks.
- CC-Link IE TSN allows for multiple communication cycles to be used within the same network. This makes it possible to optimize communication cycles depending on the characteristics of each device.This can also maximize the potential of slave devices on the network and improve productivity throughout the entire system.
(4) More options for device vendors
- CC-Link IE TSN supports implementation on both hardware and software platforms. ASIC and FPGA based hardware methods are supported. Moreover, development with software protocol stacks on a general purpose Ethernet chip is also possible for both master and slave devices. In all cases, 100Mbit and 1Gbit physical layers are supported.
- This flexibility permits device vendors to develop products by the most optimal methods while minimizing time to market. This results in a wider range of products for end users.
(1) Smart integration of control and information communication
- Achieve smart factories by integrating IT system information communication and other open protocols on the same network while running real time control.
(2) System using general-purpose IP communication devices and high performance motion control
- By using CC-Link IE TSN compatible servo amplifiers and machine vision, time synchronization allows the vision system to accurately detect the workpiece position while it is moving. Therefore significant cycle time decrease and reduced wiring is enabled.
- Also, even when transferring large capacity images from machine vision systems by IP communication, it is possible to construct a single network system with reduced wiring without affecting the servo control.
- CC-Link Partner Association (CLPA)